25 marzo 2006

2nd Round Student/Parent/Teacher Posts

Champaign High Costa Rican Stories

Having been in Costa Rica for more than half of our allotted time here, I feel that I am making a good judgment in saying that it is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen. That being said it is reasonable, if not expected, that I get a bit homesick for friends, family, pets, etc. This dull ache in my heart paved the way for a beginning of a truly special relationship between myself and a certain Costa Rican named Pablo. Monday night, exhausted from a full day of traveling, I was feeling a bit lonely as I walked down the path to my assigned bungalow. Just as I felt that my heart would burst with sadness,I was startled by a movement on the steps. There, a mere three feet away from my door, lay a small starving dog, just barely hanging on to life. I immediately went into survival mode. With amazing speed I unlocked our door and sprinted to the food stash. After two seconds, I had managed to grab a trail mix bar and a couple of crackers and I was back outside, sitting next to my new found love. In my first ten minutes with Pablo (the name seemed to fit him well), I laughed, cried, and everything in between. The time after those few minutes was to say the least, less magical. Boys from our group came and coaxed Pablo away from my side with promises of paradise and better food. I was sad for a while but I refused to let it ruin my trip. Those precious few minutes with that stray dog will be held in my heart for the rest of my life.

Alexsis Johnson





It was the fourth day of our 10 day adventure that I found the most enjoyable. We started out going to a man made lake with a beautiful view of an erupting volcano. We got to go swimming in the lake and the water felt so good. After lunch most of us walked about a mile to a waterfall. We climbed down about 150 yards to the bottom of the waterfall where we went swimming. Some of us , Ross, Becky and myself, went climbing downstream saying “ lets just go to that next big rock and then stop.” The problem was that every time we got to the next rock there was another rock to climb to. In the end we probably climbed about a half mile downstream. If they would not have told us to come back I could have gone all day. It was so pretty and so much fun. On another note one of the funniest things I have seen so far was Libby busting her stuff in 120 degree water. The memories made here will last a life time.

Liam Slesinski




We Got Lost
The End

Burrito y Humberto

Oleshia Lee

So far, the highlight of my trip was at the Hot Springs. Libby fell into the hottest spring..

Lisa L Clark



This has been a trip of a lifetime so far with my oldest child. One I know I could not afford to give her. It is awesome to see all of the students helping the aldults with their communication of Spanish.
We went on the Canopy tour yesterday I had every intention of jumping, but when my mom got stuck in the middle all my confidence wenrt out throough my feet so I chickened out. Coming from a parents point of view this trip is great.
Faye Catchings,


How about this? Three generations of the Sugg Catchings family out of the U.S. together in Central America (Costa Rica). I went on the ride of my life, usually I am afraid of heights but, after my daughter Lisa chickened out I let them hook me up and wouldn’t you know it I got stuck in mid-air, God and I really had a long talk at that point.He told me to finish the Canopy Tour and remember except for plane rides my place was on the ground.This has been another thrill of a lifetime for me. As a co-teacher in social studies this trip is awesome!!!!

So far out of all the things we have done so far on this trip my favorite was the waterfalls. It’s so hard to pinpoint one thing I liked the best, we have done so many amazing things. This group is great, I know whenever I think back to this trip I’ll have the biggest grin on my face, these people are so crazy and absolutely hilarious!


Lindsey Hallett

The whole trip has been awesome! My favorite experience was the experience I was dreading, the Canopy tour. I believe I would go on it again.

Kitty Hallett


Day 6 and the kids haven’t killed me yet. Evey day is a new adventure in the fearlessness of the teenage mind. From sliding down the slides in scalding hot water or racing through 120 degree water to letting a giant bug crawl up one’s arm (all for 100 colognes or best offer) the kids are crazy. Third trip to Costa Rica and definitely the most adventurous. Of course a few of the “adults” are no brighter. No names but the leader is fearless.

Roger Webber













My name is Joel Thompson (age 9). I got stitches after putting my finger in the gear of an old grass cutter (not on purpose). I also lost my fingernail in the gear. The good news is it was the index finger of my right hand. I’m a lefty. I’m still having fun but will have to miss out on some fun swimming in the ocean and below waterfalls.
Still having fun, Joel


You will not recognize me upon our return because I have all gray hairs. Losing four kids on a taxi, losing two kids at an art fair, rashes, diarrhea, fevers, delayed planes, lost passports and wallets, stolen money and ipod, tico raccoons entering a room and eating all of someone’s food (and trashing it), blistering feet (from the hot springs), bug bites, bloody nosed canopy guide (given to him by one of ours), fifteen people in one single shower, a trip to the emergency room for stitches …. Well, all I can say is I can’t wait to plan the next one! My greatest satisfaction is hearing our kids communicate in Spanish and seeing them not be afraid to immerse themselves with their surroundings. Reading their postings on this blog says it all! Pura vida and we don’t want to come home

J Sra. T.

PS Good job Central on winning your first two baseball games!

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

Hey, Joel,
I'm glad to hear you can still write! I expect you to write a 5 page essay about your trip when you return to class on Monday. (Ha!Ha! Ha!) But seriously...I can't wait to hear all about it!
--Ms. Anderson